Wednesday 17 February 2021

VLANs – the simplest explanation

I just released a new videos which teaches VLANs in the absolute simplest way. This is how I wish VLANs were taught to me when I first started my Networking journey. I have since taught countless students using this format, and the reception has been unanimously positive. Now I’m sharing that method with my readers!

What are VLANs - Youtube video from Practical Networking .net

The video discusses through the following concepts: ccna voice

VLANs provide two major functions:

Break up physical switches into virtual “mini switches“

Extend the virtual “mini switch” to multiple physical switches

VLANs allow your Logical topology to be unconstrained by your Physical topology

Access Ports / Untagged Ports – ports which carry traffic for only ONE VLAN

Trunk Ports / Tagged Ports – ports which carry traffic for MULTIPLE VLANs

All frames traversing a Trunk port must be “tagged” so the receiving switch knows what VLAN to associate that traffic to

802.1q – open standard for how to tag Layer 2 frames

Native VLAN – The one VLAN which traverses a Trunk/Tagged link without a VLAN tag

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aruba HPE Instant On Small Business Access Point Overview

Features of the Aruba brand and the Instant On line The Aruba brand is owned by the American company Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) and is...